Fireside Chat with SAP CEO Bill McDermott
“Winners Dream: A Journey from Corner Store to Corner Office”
“Dream big” is the CEO’s motto of the biggest software company in Europe. On the 21st of November, IE was honored to welcome the SAP CEO Bill McDermott as a speaker for the Fireside Chat on the IE Campus. Special thanks goes to William Dávila (IE Director of Corporate Relations) for the opening of the event and Amber Wigmore Álvarez (IE Executive Director of Career Services), who moderated the Fireside Chat event. Bill gave IE students very rare insights into his success story, beginning with his first job at Xerox, where he stayed 17 years and became the youngest Division President, to his nomination as CEO of SAP America in 2002, up to his current position as the CEO of SAP SE.
During the event, Bill discussed SAP’s massive cultural change from a conservative development and engineering company to a “value engineering” company. This can be recognized by the improved and innovative usability and customer experience of the Enterprise Application software. Bill also pointed out the value that SAP HANA delivers in the healthcare industry in particular. From software that provides immediate access to information at the point of care to technology that supports advanced medical research like human genome sequencing, SAP is helping organizations improve the overall patient experience and deliver high-value care. Furthermore, the cloud is one of the most important topics in the future of SAP and in the company’s substantial strategy for continued growth.
After talking about SAP and Bill’s career steps the event went more personal and private. Bill talked about his personal motivation and drive. Referring back to Bill’s statement “Dream big”, he recommends everyone to write down his/her personal goals to keep track on it. When writing down your goals “think about your dream, passion and what you love”. Only 10% have goals, but just 1% of the 10% writes them down. The other 90% have no goals. Bill recommends to use the personal drive and find a job that fits someone’s passion. In Bill’s case the driver of happiness was not only a job with benefits for himself but also for others.
Following the event Bill took some of his valuable time to chat with IE students and to respond to their specific questions. All students that want to get more interesting insights into Bill’s success story I recommend to take a look into his book “Winners Dream: A Journey from Corner Store to Corner Office”.
Never forget the essence of a winners dream:
“Although I don’t know how to do it – I will do it!” (Bill McDermott CEO SAP)