John Murphy, International MBA 2015 Alumni, tells us about his experience with the MACH program recruitment process. John is now based in the Microsoft Amsterdam office since February 2016.
How did you find out about this job opportunity?
I was contacted by Microsoft through their MACH recruitment program. They found my CV in the CV book, and contacted me directly.
How did the CMC and your IE experience help you during the recruiting process?
There was a Microsoft talk at IE, organized by the CMC, where I got to meet the recruiter in person, Pilar Lopez, GM of Microsoft Spain, and two IE alumnus which was very good networking. I would say there was no involvement during my interviewing process. I was already in the MACH process and had 2 interviews before the on campus Microsoft event.
How was the recruiting process: stages, tests, interviews, etc?
There was an initial HR screening, then 2 more HR interviews. After passing these rounds I did an in person assessment day which involved 2 one-on-one interviews, an individual pitch and a group assessment. About a week after the assessment I was extended an offer.
Would you want to share any tips, advice with current student interested in applying to this company?
- Don’t Spam on LinkedIn, most people won’t respond, to you try and get introductions via mutual connections
- Thoroughly research the company and the role you are applying
- Don’t depend on CMC to find you a job, you need to be self-motivated
- Apply to geographical areas you have experience working in or that you are eligible to work in
When applying to Mircosoft:
- Research the MACH program
- Passion for Technology
- If you have any particular questions feel free to contact me via CMC or LinkedIn